You, alone, get to choose your day, week, year and life, regardless of any 'circumstance' you may currently be in.
What do you see, what do you choose? Do you focus on what's wrong or do you see the beauty in everything that is exactly as it should be?
"The eye is a lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light." -Matt 6:22
An integrative doctor–whether a primary-care physician, an ob-gyn, or an oncologist–enlists Western approaches when appropriate and then complements them with other treatments.
The health of Americans is steadily declining despite the amount of money spent on health care, high-technology medicine, and educational efforts. Hypertension, Diabetes, auto-immune disease and obesity rates continue to sky-rocket among adults and children.
Unless we wake up and take responsibility for our own health, the pattern will continue. An integrative health coach will listen to you and guide you in making choices that will improve your health.
Here are the top 7 reasons you need an integrative health coach now:
1. Many people don’t follow through with their New Year’s Resolution to lose weight or get healthy.
80% of people who make New Year’s resolutions break them. When you break your 2017 resolution, don’t wait for January 1, 2018 to follow through on what you need to do for your health. Make a resolution every day when you wake up to improve your health. A physician who focuses on prevention will show you how to make small changes that will build up to a lifetime of good health.
2. You don’t understand why you have gained the weight.
Over the years the extra few pounds have stayed on you, but you are eating better. There are many dietary changes that you need, but you don’t know where to start. An integrative health coach will help you identify the easiest changes to make today that will make the biggest impact on your health. An integrative physician can also factor in the impact that insulin, cortisol, and other hormones are having on your health.
3. You have cravings that you don’t know how to handle so you end up eating.
You figure that you don’t have any control over the cravings so you just give in, every time, year after year. An integrative health coach will help you identify the cause of the cravings and enable you to beat your cravings or binge eating using a combination of natural and/or prescription methods.
4. You have cancer, diabetes, or heart disease in your family, and want to a plan to prevent them.
We can use genetic information and family history to develop a plan to reduce, delay, or eliminate your chance of getting a chronic illness. In the long run, it saves you money…. and stress.
5. You want to lose your sugar addiction, cigarette craving, or curb your appetite for alcohol.
What do smoking, eating disorders, and texting all have in common? They often result from stress and anxiety. These behaviors often develop as ways to modify a person’s “fight or flight” response to stress triggers. Stressed by work? Fighting or fleeing may not be options—but calming your nerves with a cigarette or drink is. We explore the triggers and possible herbal and prescription medications that may be of benefit.
6. You are confused about whether meat, protein, carbs, dairy, produce, or GMO foods are healthy.
A new diet book is written every day. How can you tell what is healthy for you? There are various ways to evaluate your “inflammatory foods”. An integrative health coach will help you determine what foods are healthy for YOU and what will work for YOU.
7. Nothing has worked before, so you continue to gain weight or have chronic health issues.
Chances are you have given up because nothing you have tried before worked. If you have gained weight, or if you are suffering from chronic health issues that are blood sugar-related, high cholesterol, blood pressure, inflammation or arthritis, or other health issues, you may be able to improve your health with herbs, vitamins, or nutrition. A health coach can help you wade through the mountains of research to figure out what works for you and your health.
Do something for yourself today and talk to an integrative health coach! Your life and health could improve, and you could feel better!
Read full article here for free: https://www.patreon.com/posts/25501356
First off, you are not a diet, you are a person. Diet hopping is not healthy or sustainable for your body. If you are considering "labeling" yourself as a diet, choose a mix of a few of your favorites. When people ask me, I like to call myself paleo-vegetarian. "It real food, not too much, mostly plants." -Michael Pollan.
The bottom line
Be sure to do your research before starting a ketogenic diet, and ask a licensed naturopath before beginning any diet that eliminates entire food groups. Eliminating healthy, whole food should raise a red flag.
I am not against keto, I actually do it on occasion. It's just not something I believe is sustainable or healthy long term. It’s also important to remember that just because one diet works for someone, doesn’t mean it will naturally be the right one for you.
Always keep a journal of what you eat and how you feel for a week when making any dietary changes. Your body will tell you when something is off...listen to it!
Night sweats? Can't sleep? As we age, our hormones are ever-changing. Luckily, there's a solution for that.
Full Article Here
A great crunchy snack, salad topper or "meat" for your veggie wraps. Chickpeas help increase satiety, boost digestion, keep blood sugar levels stable, increase protection against metabolic syndrome and heart disease, and more. Chickpeas nutrition is a potent package of protein, vitamins and minerals, which is why they are often included in many healing diets, including the Ayurvedic diet and the Mediterranean diet.
FREE RECIPE HERE
Fermented ginger is known for reducing inflammation, fighting cancer, and has many properties that make its addition to anything a great idea. Ginger contains gingerol, the main bioactive compound responsible for it’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Ginger is ideal for treating any form of nausea or digestive relief. Ginger is known to combat high blood sugar and improve heart disease risk factors. Ginger is even known to lower levels of LDL (low-density lipoprotein, bad cholesterol). So the question is...why not?
Click here to visit me on patreon, for the 5 minute recipe to creating this nutrient dense staple to your diet.
"And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing.” ~Ezekiel 47:12
Adding in Herbs and Oils - because why not?
I talk often about herbs and oils, since I use them a lot around my home it is always top of mind. Sometimes, naysayers will tell me its hoakey, witch-doctery, or only in my mind that they actually work. But let's be honest here for a second and look at the facts, herbs are plants and plants have been healing us since the beginning of time. We were actually designed to respond to them. I am not of the attitude that modern medicine does not have it's place. It absolutely does. But using herbs as a first resource and in-addition-to resource will absolutely yield amazing benefits to your life!
My TOP 5 Herbs and Oils and HOW TO use them:
Convinced yet? I would love to get you started or keep you moving on your whole body health journey with herbs and oils. We have ongoing education and training opportunities on using them effectively and safely and I'd be happy to have you attend.
What's your favorite herb or oil?
4-Week Series begins on Thursday, Feb 7 at 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm and continues four weeks; Thursday's in Feb (7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th). Only one ticket is required for entire series. Located at InWave Restaurant & Juice Bar - 10310 Shelbyville Rd.
Teens are faced with new cultural challenges like:
Sibling tickets can be purchased at a reduced cost of $40; Scholarships considered. Please email me with your request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Class max of 15, please reserve your spot asap.
Ditch the coffee for your mid-morning or afternoon pick-me-up. These are easy to keep around the office (or in the car) and provide sustainable energy...that won't send you crashing in an hour. I am not affiliated with either brand, just love how they make me feel. #energy #lifestylemedicine #organicfood #sharethelove
We all have to eat and drink every day, might as well make them work for you!
What is your favorite go-to food or drink addiction? No wrong answers here, if it's coffee or Snickers, your body is asking for something there. Let's talk about it!
What are you most looking forward to adding into your life?
Simplicity is so easily forgotten this time of year! The simplicity of just talking, eating, laughing, playing, and enjoying time together. It's made in the connection to those you love. It's loving where you are, no matter where that is.
It also requires being present and disconnecting...which means putting away your phones that suck you out of the present. This year, I plan to take around this box to all my family parties and set it in the middle of the table with a sign that says: "Choose to be present, please leave your phone in the box."
Isn’t that what Christmas is all about though – simplicity? We are the ones who have turned it into over-spending, obligations, fancy clothes and five course meals with an expectation of perfection. But that’s not where the memories are made, guys. In my house, memories are made in the gag gifts, mealtime mishaps, laughter that turns into a snort and gingerbread house messes. It's when we realize how much we truly are one big, happy, messy, mixed, crazy family.
The holiday is, after all, about the simplicity of a baby boy who was born in a simple stable, sent from a God who came to connect with the lost, broken, messy people of the world. It was the simple act of unconditional love that changed us and the world forever. A simplicity that is so easily forgotten this time of year.
What do you do or will you do to keep your Christmas simple this year?
Merry Christmas to you all, from my family to yours!
Ditch the chemical loaded carmex this winter and make this 3 ingredient and 3 step lip balm. It’s easy and cheap REAL soothing lip balm.
Melt all on stove over very low heat, add 5 drops of your favorite oils. Some of my faves are orange + peppermint and lavender + clary sage.
So, it’s cold y’all. Temps have dropped around here and I’m thinking some hearty soups are in order. Today, I had 10 minutes between calls to throw together my lunch...and this is what I created.
I’m a fan of fast and cheap, but not a fan of fake or fluff. Thanks to The Wahls Cookbook motivation, I was able to improvise and concoct a fast and super filling, nutrient dense soup that will surely keep me full until the kiddos roll in around 3...at which time I’ll go for a few pieces of my organic dark chocolate and some green tea to hold me over to dinner. 😉
So, here’s my quick 5 step and 5 ingredient recipe:
Ingredients: onion, butternut squash, coconut milk, bone broth, orange or orange essential oil. On hand: ghee (or butter/coconut oil), pink salt, pepper, pumpkin seeds (or any seed, optional).
1. Sauté half an onion in ghee on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. While that’s sautéing, spoon out the (already roasted, last night with my dinner veggies) butternut squash and mash it with a fork in a bowl.
3. Add it and about 1 cup of broth (any type will work, this is chicken and in my fridge from the last batch of bone broth I made). Use wisk to mix together well.
4. Add in half a can of full fat coconut milk and a drop of orange essential oil (or a few wedges of fresh orange juice, plus the zest). Wisk well until blended and let sit in heat another 5 minutes. No need to fully boil, just long enough to blend.
5. Pour into oversized bowl and top with seeds. Enjoy!
Side note: this would be really easy to prep the night before and throw in a bowl to heat up at work.
1. Remember to Eat Real Food: 5 colors a day does not include M&Ms or cocktails. Once the holiday season hits, so do the sweets. Cookies, pies and cakes seem to be everywhere this time of year. As much as my sweet tooth loves it, I also feel much better when I don't let the snacks, party food and deserts take over completely. With holiday parties in abundance, I am always sure to take a healthy side dish that I know myself and my kids love everywhere we go, then I know we will have something to mix in with other non-healthy options.
2. Schedule Some Solo Down Time: Whether it's for a 10-minutes, a few hours or an entire day, put it on your calendar and let others know you're busy. Then, relax any way you want. Watch your favorite movie, soak in the tub, read a book, sleep - it's your personal quiet, alone, decompress time to help keep you feeling balanced among all the business of the season. Even if it’s just in the car from one stop to the next, turn off the radio, listen to your breathing, use a little uplifting aromatherapy, be intentional and pour into yourself. After all, you cannot love other the way you were intended if you don’t love yourself first.
3. Keep Exercise on Your Schedule: It can be harder to fit in time to exercise with everything going on but this is also when it can help us the most. Exercise can help manage stress, it releases stronger endorphins than any pill and it will help keep those extra holiday pounds at bay as well! Exercise can also be like meditation in the way that it gives you a time and space to relax and clear your mind. This rush of endorphins is the “runners high” we hear about. I know that making my morning yoga even more of a priority when I feel life getting busier and more stressful is going to keep me calm, grounded and feeling good.
4. Prioritize Kindness: The holidays are a good time to practice patience, compassion and kindness. Not only are more people feeling stressed, the holidays can be an emotionally difficult time for many. From random acts of kindness, compassion for another you see struggling or donating time or money to help others in need, now is the time. It's also going to leave you feeling light, happy and all around good! It can be as simple as buying someone’s coffee behind you in line at Starbucks, dropping by a nursing home to hand out cookies and cards, or offering to buy gifts for a single mom you know. I like to pre-make 5-10 small gift bags of essential oil sprays, candy or mints, and a $5 gift card for coffee or ice-cream. Then, when I feel led, I grab one out and give it away to someone unexpectedly. Don’t allow gift giving to be a burden, it is not how it is intended. The gift of giving is truly the best gift the holidays offer.
5. Practice Gratitude: Speaking of gifts, this is also the season of skyrocketing comparisons. With every gift you give or receive, it’s so easy fall into the trap of comparing it with others. With the advent of social media, comparing your life has become so easy and can happen right in your own living room. Unfortunately, comparing yourself to others is a recipe for destruction, it’s like a thief that sneaks in and steals your happiness without you even knowing. By practicing gratitude, you eliminate this. Every evening spend 5 minutes writing in a notebook everything that happened on that day that you are thankful for. It can be things that were awesome about your day or struggles that brought you growth in your life. It can be the beauty of the season with the falling leaves, crisp grass and first snow, or the furnace going out that forces all your family into one bed snuggling together to stay warm until the next day. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, we all have beautifully messy lives…let’s embrace them like the wonder of a child on Christmas morning!
FREE Lunch & Learn Series: November
Are you tired of feeling the holiday overwhelm, even before the holidays start? There's a reason and a solution for that.
Stop in our "Lunch & Learn" Series this month and learn some secrets to not only surviving, but thriving, during this holiday season. We will discuss the "Top 5 Simple Holistic Health Tips" that bring you peace and joy in times of high stress...AND enjoy some healthy and warming lunch.
DATE AND TIMEMon, November 19, 2018
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
505 West Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202
Register on Eventbrite Here
Questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com
"Encouragement to all women is - let us try to offer help before we have to offer therapy. That is to say, let's see if we can't prevent being ill by trying to offer a love of prevention before illness." ~Maya Angelou
Because wikipedia knows everything, here is their definition: Health coaching is the use of evidence-based skillful conversation, clinical interventions and strategies to actively and safely engage client/patients in health behavior change. This is actually spot on - nice job inter-web. :)
I get asked this question a lot, so I thought it would be a good topic to cover here. Let's talk statistics real quick. Did you know that my children's generation (I'm a gen-xer/xennial) is the first generation that is not predicted to outlive their parents? Did you know that 1 in 4 in the US are chronically overweight or have type 2 diabetes and another 33% are on their way? Did you know that 1 in 3 of these are children? Did you know by 2025 it's predicted that 1 in 2 will have diagnose-able autism and 1 in 2 will have cancer? (links below, thanks again inter-web)
It's statistics like these, and being and living in our culture of fast paced, quick-fix, easy or read-made mind-set that has provided us right where we are. When I began this journey of health coaching in 2012, I had my own slew of questions, issues, concerns and set-backs. I was looking for answers that my doctors couldn't give me and a therapist didn't know. I did it for myself, my kids, my husband, my family. I was my first client and still am, every day. This is a way of life, not a diet, quick-fix, laundry list of ingredients to go buy and prepare in advance.
Freedom is not found in a doctors office somewhere. You are not deficient in additional prescriptions or chemical concoctions. Your body is really smart because that is how you were created. When you cut your arm, what do you do, what happens? You clean it, nurture it, cover it and it heals itself. New skin appears within a day. Why, how? Because your body wants you to be healthy. Now, if you scratch it, pour acid on it, don't clean or cover it...the opposite happens.
So, health coaching is like this too. Our world eats away at us, it's the nature of society. But your whole-self needs attention, mind-body-spirit are all interconnected. Your dying inside to be free, fulfilled, healthy and loved while fighting against what life throws your way every day, both inside and out. I get it, I live here too.
Free takeaway for your wellness Wednesday is this: Love yourself today. Do something that makes your heart sing, laugh, and feel alive. And then, do it for someone else. After all, laughter is the best medicine!
Confession, I love podcasts, audible, online books and anything/everything I can listen to as often as I have time to fit it in my schedule. I’ve been introduced to a new spiritual writer this week, Mark Nepo, who speaks profound truths in his books and poetry. His personal fight with cancer provided him the opportunity to see and live life in a way he would’ve never done without it. Here are just a few take-aways from the podcast I was lucky enough to hear while getting ready this morning.
15 Healthy Breakfasts in 5 minutes or Less – for Kids and Adults
Because breaking your night-time fast fuels your body for the day!
Breakfast is broken in three major categories. Plan to make one thing each weekend to freeze or have in fridge to throw into your weekly variety. Then grab a few key ingredients at the market and plan to give yourself 10 minutes to prep and sit to ENJOY breakfast again! Your day is worth it.
Hot and fast breakfasts to cook in the am:
The war on cholesterol is extremely unfortunate because this misinformation out there is actually making people sick. Not only is cholesterol necessary for a healthy body and mind, but coconut oil nourishes the brain and supports the right kind of cholesterol your body needs. The following research has been shared from Dr. Perlmutter's website, who is a renowned neurologist whose expertise includes gluten issues, brain health & nutrition, and preventing neurodegenerative disorders. You can find the full report, with mounds of medical research to back it, here: https://www.drperlmutter.com/is-coconut-oil-still-healthy-the-truth-behind-the-recent-headlines/
The main take away: Saturated Fats Do NOT Cause Cardiovascular Disease
Somehow, the fundamentally flawed hypothesis, that saturated fat causes cardiovascular disease, became the prevailing belief in the 1950s. This notion has had tremendous staying power even though there are numerous studies indicating that saturated fats do not lead to CVD.
In fact, one 2014 study even urged the AHA to consider the evidence that saturated fats may be beneficial when updating their future guidelines. Seems they missed the memo. If the culprit behind CVD isn’t saturated fat, what is?
Inflammation is what causes cardiovascular disease.
If you want a healthy heart, you need to focus on a diet that reduces inflammation and oxidation. This means reducing processed foods, sugars, and simple carbs. Also, be sure you’re eating healthy sources of saturated fats like grass-fed butter, grass-fed beef, and, you guessed it, coconut oil.
Research has proven that inflammation causes CVD. And guess what causes inflammation: vegetable oils! They are loaded with pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids. Additionally, vegetable fats are high in linoleic acids. Studies have shown that replacing saturated fats with corn oil increases the risk of coronary heart disease and increases a person’s risk of death by 22 percent.
Vegetable oils should be avoided at all costs. They are inflammatory, high in linoleic acids, contain pesticides and herbicides such as glyphosate, and are unstable under heat causing oxidation in the body. Oxidation happens through chemical reactions in our bodies. The process creates "free radicals," which causes damage to our cells that raises our risk for (you guessed it) heart attacks, strokes, cancer and many other problems. Bottom line, don't blindly trust research before looking into third party credible sources, pockets are being lined at the sake of our health. I think we've all learned that from the recent Monsanto verdict.
As always, this is not medical advice. It is tips to empower you to care for yourself and your family.
Hi, I'm Teresa. I am an Integrative Holistic Health Coach. I help you clear the clutter and live with intention so you can live happier and healthier lives.
Think you can't afford a health coach? Patreon plans start at $3/month