1. Remember to Eat Real Food: 5 colors a day does not include M&Ms or cocktails. Once the holiday season hits, so do the sweets. Cookies, pies and cakes seem to be everywhere this time of year. As much as my sweet tooth loves it, I also feel much better when I don't let the snacks, party food and deserts take over completely. With holiday parties in abundance, I am always sure to take a healthy side dish that I know myself and my kids love everywhere we go, then I know we will have something to mix in with other non-healthy options.
2. Schedule Some Solo Down Time: Whether it's for a 10-minutes, a few hours or an entire day, put it on your calendar and let others know you're busy. Then, relax any way you want. Watch your favorite movie, soak in the tub, read a book, sleep - it's your personal quiet, alone, decompress time to help keep you feeling balanced among all the business of the season. Even if it’s just in the car from one stop to the next, turn off the radio, listen to your breathing, use a little uplifting aromatherapy, be intentional and pour into yourself. After all, you cannot love other the way you were intended if you don’t love yourself first.
3. Keep Exercise on Your Schedule: It can be harder to fit in time to exercise with everything going on but this is also when it can help us the most. Exercise can help manage stress, it releases stronger endorphins than any pill and it will help keep those extra holiday pounds at bay as well! Exercise can also be like meditation in the way that it gives you a time and space to relax and clear your mind. This rush of endorphins is the “runners high” we hear about. I know that making my morning yoga even more of a priority when I feel life getting busier and more stressful is going to keep me calm, grounded and feeling good.
4. Prioritize Kindness: The holidays are a good time to practice patience, compassion and kindness. Not only are more people feeling stressed, the holidays can be an emotionally difficult time for many. From random acts of kindness, compassion for another you see struggling or donating time or money to help others in need, now is the time. It's also going to leave you feeling light, happy and all around good! It can be as simple as buying someone’s coffee behind you in line at Starbucks, dropping by a nursing home to hand out cookies and cards, or offering to buy gifts for a single mom you know. I like to pre-make 5-10 small gift bags of essential oil sprays, candy or mints, and a $5 gift card for coffee or ice-cream. Then, when I feel led, I grab one out and give it away to someone unexpectedly. Don’t allow gift giving to be a burden, it is not how it is intended. The gift of giving is truly the best gift the holidays offer.
5. Practice Gratitude: Speaking of gifts, this is also the season of skyrocketing comparisons. With every gift you give or receive, it’s so easy fall into the trap of comparing it with others. With the advent of social media, comparing your life has become so easy and can happen right in your own living room. Unfortunately, comparing yourself to others is a recipe for destruction, it’s like a thief that sneaks in and steals your happiness without you even knowing. By practicing gratitude, you eliminate this. Every evening spend 5 minutes writing in a notebook everything that happened on that day that you are thankful for. It can be things that were awesome about your day or struggles that brought you growth in your life. It can be the beauty of the season with the falling leaves, crisp grass and first snow, or the furnace going out that forces all your family into one bed snuggling together to stay warm until the next day. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, we all have beautifully messy lives…let’s embrace them like the wonder of a child on Christmas morning!
FREE Lunch & Learn Series: November
Are you tired of feeling the holiday overwhelm, even before the holidays start? There's a reason and a solution for that.
Stop in our "Lunch & Learn" Series this month and learn some secrets to not only surviving, but thriving, during this holiday season. We will discuss the "Top 5 Simple Holistic Health Tips" that bring you peace and joy in times of high stress...AND enjoy some healthy and warming lunch.
DATE AND TIMEMon, November 19, 2018
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
505 West Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202
Register on Eventbrite Here
Questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com
Think you can't afford a health coach? Patreon plans start at $3/month
Hi, I'm Teresa. I am an Integrative Holistic Health Coach. I help you clear the clutter and live with intention so you can live happier and healthier lives.